Friday, March 11, 2011

fake it 'til you make it.

It's been nearly a year since I was laid off and thrown into full-time stay-at-home-momdom and I've become that mom.

You know.

The one with the adorably dressed, perfectly accessorized kids who herself looks a complete mess.

I'm her. And it's SAD.

I'm not about to make excuses for it. Having three children does not mean I should leave the house sans makeup and with unkempt hair and ill-fitting clothes. The fact is, I'm lazy. I could very well get up earlier and make myself presentable and I know if I did that, I would feel much better. Lying in bed for an extra 20 minutes feels so good at the time, but it's so not worth it later in the day when I look much more frazzled than I actually feel.

I decided I need to make a change. The final straw was when I ran into an acquaintance and Walmart. She was dressed to the nines, but still appropriate for being a mom -- trendy jeans, a cute top and flats. Her hair was styled and she had makeup on -- nothing too over-the-top, but enough to make her look refreshed. I was a trainwreck. I'd just washed my hair and let it air-dry into a half-curly 'fro. I had zero makeup on...not even a spot of concealer. I had on baggy-assed maternity jeans and an oversized, faded t-shirt with an old, pilly Columbia fleece on top. Seriously. I was a mess. My friend has four kids. FOUR. And still managed to pull herself together. And it wasn't a fluke. Every.single.time. I see her she looks great. I'd just seen her at Target the week before with a sick kid in tow and she looked fabulous. (I, of course, was wearing a variation of what I just described above with the same hair and makeup-less face). I vowed I would quit being such a momhag.

Initially, I decided I'd start working out and try to be less hideous slowly. I figured it would be a process. But then I decided to hell with that. I don't have to lose weight to take pride in my appearance. I can start NOW.

The past two days, I've styled my hair and worn makeup. That alone has made me feel so much better. I've also put on REAL clothes -- complete with accessories. My current wardrobe is very limited since I still have quite a bit of weight to lose before I'm comfortable in my pre-pregnancy pants and shirts, so I've vowed to buy myself some pieces that will fit my current body well in the meantime. I went to Gap today and got a bag full of tops that actually look decent over my enormous boobs and flabby belly for next to nothing, thanks to a coupon and fabulous sale. Next up is a pair of jeans that isn't too tight or too baggy. I also plan to get a couple pairs of yoga pants and a track jacket or two so that when I do want to wear something more comfortable out of the house, it's at least presentable. I'm embarrassed to admit that I've pretty much worn pajamas to two of my newborn sessions recently.

Overall, adjusting to being a mom to three has gone remarkably well. The boys love their sister and she's a pretty easy-going baby (quite the difference from #2!). Now I just need to look like I'm not exhausted and haggard, because I really don't feel that way. Perhaps then I won't hear "Oh, my! You really have your hands full!" from every other person I see in public...

No comments:

Post a Comment